Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Abra-Cadabra!






I haven’t vanished – just hibernated. It’s been frrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeezing here, and weather like this makes me want to plug in the electric blanket and huddle under the covers.

So between work (a “W” word I avoided in BarbP’s list!) and the weather, I’ve been basically – sleeping. Very little knitting, though I did finally finish these – thick socks from Lamb’s Pride Bulky for my son-in-law Kerry.


And I’m finishing these – more thick socks for Jack’s birthday (it was Monday, so I’m close!).

We’re going to the Adirondacks this weekend – the annual event for J’s birthday – it’s just not cold enough here to suit that Alabama-born boy. I plan to stop at the Old Forge Hardware Store which has a great selection of yarn and books, and Adirondack Yarns in Lake Placid. When we get back, I’m sure I’ll need a medical appointment to peel off my long underwear, since I won’t be taking it off the entire trip!

Why didn’t I marry a man who likes warm weather?
And ... at long last ... the Ribwarmer. Complete, edged ... after ripping apart when a kind fellow blogger looked at my photos and emailed me as follows:

"First, don't blame the messenger. Second, pour a glass of wine."
That's when I knew I was in trouble. I had sewn the fronts together instead of the back. Giant "duh"! (sound of forehead hitting desk) I've been knitting how many years? 41????????
But now it's done and I love it. Just the thing for throwing on over pjs or a flannel shirt, or under a coat in our frigid weather. Thank you, Elizabeth Zimmermann.
Well it's off to pick up Chinese take-out and to pack those long johns. Stay warm, knitting peeps!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The rib warmer looks great (now that the right side is sewn together). Heheheh

Thick warm socks sound wonderful. My office has no heat (so I use a space heater) and it's the porch of this old house that was converted to an office and the floor is always freezing since there's an empty space underneat it and no insulation.

Now tell me, why exactly are you going some place colder? I keep trying to get us to move back south.

Anonymous said...

The rib warmer came out great! I love the edging contrast. Do hope you stay warm up there!

Jessica
http://zarzuelaknitsandcrochets.com/blog

Vicki Knitorious said...

Oh, your Ribwarmer turned out wonderfully!!! I want to do another, too, with more stitches so it's longer and more loose fitting. The first one I knit is truly a rib warmer. ; )