Friday, June 16, 2006

Dog Daze and Fine Whine


Here's the world's best dog waiting at the office for me to get done packing up my trial case for the weekend. It's supposed to be in the 90's here, and the last thing I want to be doing is testimony outlines for a case that is going nowhere. I keep repeating in my head: "Everyone is entitled to representation under the law," but when there are neglect findings from 1998, reports from psychiatrists that are, to be mild, damning, how strongly do I have to defend this client against having his parental rights terminated? (that's the whining). The two day trial starts Monday at 9. The Coronas with lime get opened tonight at 6.

And this mysterious beauty is TwinA. We feasted on fries and hot fudge sundaes last night, after seeing "The Break-Up" -- the flick with Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn. It started out funny, but then deteriorated into being too much like my matrimonials, and too much like bad relationships I've had. But the company was marvelous!


And ... she tried on the too-big sock, and loved it! On to too-big #2, with lime! :)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute doggie (and twin, too).

Good luck with the trial. I've been practicing for 6 years and have yet to have my first real trial. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. Seems like I'm doomed to do contempts most of the time, though.

Anonymous said...

I have to say, as someone who just fought hard and long (along with my husband) to have my step-daughter's "birth mother's" rights terminated for exactly some of the same reasons you mentioned, I was stunned by her (court-appointed) attorney's blatant nasty attacks against us in an attempt to keep this useless, manipulative, damaging woman's rights to upset our lives and that of our daughter. Especially considering that said daughter twice gave testimony that she wanted NOTHING to do with said birth mother. The attitude of "even child molesters get to see their kids" smacks of all that is wrong with "the system." I kept wondering, as an officer of the court, isn't it this attorney's obligation to do what is best for the child? And where does that fall in relation to due diligence on behalf of the client? I would think the child comes first, wouldn't you? Oy. I will assume that your response was the same as mine, though seated at different tables...Knit Sox!!!!