Saturday, April 21, 2007

Swatch me!


It's Knitpicks Cotlin, in Nightfall. I picked a stitch pattern from the 365 Day Stitch Calendar, and I'm going to try to do a sweater ala EZ. I'm getting 5 stitches to the inch on size 8's, so it's off to the calculator to figure out the specs. I love the drape of the yarn, and it's not too heavy. I did "wash" it and let it dry, and it softens up very nicely.

So my question is this -- if I knit this pattern in the round, do I use the same ratio? By that I mean, it's an 8 stitch repeat, plus 6. So if I cast on 190 stitches -- does that work out? Or do you make it plus 5 because there won't be a seam stitch?

I've tried to look this up in various books, but can't seem to figure out the answer. Help would be greatly appreciated!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The number of extra stitches vary and it's not only one just because of the seam. You'll have to play around with it, but without seeing the pattern and experimenting, my gut says to make your cast on a multiple of 8. The plus 6 are in there to make everything line up when you go back and forth.

Do a swatch with 40 stitches and knit it in the round and see if that works.